Preston is easily accessible from across the UK- by road, rail and air. The city is well served by the M6 motorway both north and south and excellent cross-country rail links.
There are also three major international airports – Manchester, Liverpool John Lennon and Blackpool International less than half an hour away.
- Manchester Airport
From Manchester Airport yo can take the Blackpool north train direct from the airport to Preston, getting off at Preston Station or any airport train to Picadilly Station Manchester where you can transfer to the Blackpool North train which can be found at platform 14. The journey can take between 35 and 55 minutes depending on the route and train provider.
- UCLan is conveniently situated within walking distance of Preston railway station. Preston also benefits from direct rail links north and south to London and Glasgow and to Manchester Airport. For more information and a route planner go to www.nationalrail.co.uk
ON FOOT FROM THE RAILWAY STATION (1/2 MILE)
Take exit from station over overhead walkway, turn left to traffic lights. Cross road at lights, turn right and almost immediately left down Corporation Street to the Ringway. Cross Ringway, turn right, then take first left down Corporation Street. Follow signs to University.
- Served by Preston Bus station, the City and the surrounding area enjoy reliable and extensive transport links in and around Preston. Bus routes and timetables are available at: www.transportforlancashire.com
ON FOOT FROM THE BUS STATION (1/2 MILE)
Take subway at south end of bus station to Guild Hall Arcade. Walk straight through the Arcade and across Lancaster Road until you arrive at the Cenotaph. Turn right downhill on Friargate. Walk through pedestrianised area down to traffic lights at Ringway. Cross Ringway and continue up Friargate. Follow signs to University.
- National Express coaches operate from Preston Bus Station to destinations across the UK.
Low cost intercity bus travel is also available from Megabus.
- The University is signposted from Junctions 29, 31 and 32 of the M6 which are the easiest approach routes.
From Preston City Centre, follow the yellow AA signs to the University
FROM THE NORTH OR WEST COAST
- Leave the M6 at junction 32 (M55) and take Exit 1 (A6) to Preston/Garstang. Follow the A6 to Preston and proceed through ﬁve major sets of trafﬁc lights. Immediately after the ﬁfth set, take the right hand lane and bear right at the next set into Moor Lane, following the signs to Liverpool. The University is signposted along this route.
FROM THE SOUTH OR EAST
- Motorways M6, M61 or M65. Leave the M6 at Junction 29 or M61 at Junction 9 and join the M65 towards Preston, then leave the M65 at its end (Junction 1). At the motorway terminal roundabout take second exit (All Trafﬁc).
Follow the A6 to Preston through three roundabouts. The University is signposted along this route. You will come to a set of trafﬁc lights with a large retail centre to the left. Go straight on at this set of trafﬁc lights, and also at the next set you come to. You will need to move into the middle lane for the next set of trafﬁc lights to go straight on, signposted Liverpool and Southport. Continue straight through the next set of trafﬁc lights. Move over to the right hand lane to be ready to turn right at the next trafﬁc lights, signposted for Blackpool and the University.
Preston has a host of hotels as well as an active airb’n’b community: Some hotels, listed in orer of proximity are found below, and it is entirely viable to stay in Manchester and get a short 40min train to Preston university.
Hotels – Preston (in order of proximity)
- The Legacy International
Tel: 08444 119 028 – Fax: 08444 119 029
Tel: 0330 333 2828 – Fax: 0330 333 2829
- Premier Inn
Tel: 0871 527 8908 – Fax: 01772 562237
- Ibis North
Tel: (+44)1772/861800 – Fax : (+44)1772/861900
- Preston Air B’N’B